Tuesday, June 16, 2009

So I don´t have pictures.

Like the title says, I don't have pictures today, simply because I haven't taken my camera with me anywhere! We have been a little busy. I will try to upload soon, I promise.

Yesterday, Diego was ill and we were unable to have a lesson. Hopefully he'll be doing better tomorrow. Nikolas, his brother, is the gardener at the school. He seemed hopeful that Diego will be able to return on Thursday. We'll all hope that.

Let's talk about the water here. You can't drink it, okay? It is apparently a bacterial and parasitic cesspool, even brushing your teeth with it could result in days spent out of commission, or worse, in Guatemala City.

Okay, so that's a bit over-the-top, and that last bit about Guatemala City was probably below the belt. But the point remains, you get off the plane here, and they basically start telling you right away not to drink the water. So you have to buy big five gallon jugs of water to drink and brush your teeth with it.

Houses also have tremendous tanks, into which the city pumps mountain water. Again, not drinkable, but shower..able. If these tanks are not raised up, there will be no water pressure. I'm talking a trickle. At Escuela Caracol, they have a water tank that is ground level with the building itself. I don't know why the need pressure, since they don't have showers, but I suppose it helps fill up the toilets faster.

Anyway, we began construction on a column for the water tank today. It will probably be several meters high, and the foundation, the hole for which we began digging today, will be about a meter into the ground alone. Tomorrow I anticipate hauling bags of cement for at least an hour, which I know from past experience to be back-breaking.

It's all in the name of making Caracol a slightly better place. And you can see the kids benefit from them. Their Spanish is loud and exuberant. They are a joy to be around; I watched them run away from Erek as he hauled wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow full of pebbles to where we were working (to be used in the construction tomorrow).

That's all for now. I am going to go for a run and then maybe I will consider a nap.

¡Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment